Skip to content

Improvements to the website and search

We’ve made some improvements to our website to make it quicker and easier to find what you need when visiting. 

This is first in a series of improvements to online services, so we'd love to know what you think of these changes and whether they have helped you do what you needed to do today. We’ll use this feedback to continue to improve things in the future.   

Complete a short survey to let us know what you think – it should take no more than five minutes to complete. Thank you for your help. 

Street sign and cone icon

Apply for street works highway licence

To place a temporary obstruction on a public highway or anywhere else you don’t own, you’ll need to apply for a licence.

You need a licence for any temporary obstruction on the public highway, include scaffolding, gantries, hoardings and building materials. If a structure is located on the highway without the relevant permission, you will be charged a non-compliance fee in addition to a licence management fee.

If you want to put an obstruction on a red route (such as Holloway Road, Upper Street and City Road), you must apply for permission from Transport for London (TfL)

If you have any questions, get in touch:

Apply for a street works licence

You can apply for licences online. For refund requests, download and complete the form under 'Useful documents' on this page.

  • Building materials

    For permission to place building materials on the highway, you must apply for a licence.

  • Containers

    To place a container on the highway, you need to apply for a license.

  • Crane

    A crane licence permits a mobile crane or aerial platform to operate on the public highway.

  • Highways occupation

    A highways occupation licence gives you permission to occupy the highway.

  • Hoarding

    Apply for permission to place hoarding on the highway.

  • Licence extensions

    If you wish to extend your street works licence, you must apply for an extension and pay a fee.

  • Pit lanes

    A pit lane licence permits loading vehicles to stop on the highway to load or unload.

  • Road closures

    Apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order required for road closures

  • Scaffolding or gantry

    To place scaffolding or gantry on a public highway or anywhere else you don’t own, you’ll need to apply for a license.

  • Section 50 excavations

    You must apply for permission to excavate or open a footway or carriageway to carry out works on the highway.

  • Vehicle crossovers

    To install a temporary vehicle crossover, you must apply for a licence.

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.