Skip to content

Improvements to the website and search

We’ve made some improvements to our website to make it quicker and easier to find what you need when visiting. 

This is first in a series of improvements to online services, so we'd love to know what you think of these changes and whether they have helped you do what you needed to do today. We’ll use this feedback to continue to improve things in the future.   

Complete a short survey to let us know what you think – it should take no more than five minutes to complete. Thank you for your help. 

Street sign and cone icon

Skip licence

If you need to keep a skip on a highway, you’ll need to apply for a licence.

How to get a skip licence

You can only apply for a skip licence if you’re a company who holds a waste carriers licence and at least £10 million public liability insurance.

Apply for a skip licence

  • The charge is £112.20 per calendar month.
  • It allows you to keep your skip in a parking bay that you have arranged to be suspended, or on a single yellow line directly outside the property (if this does not impact traffic or access to premises).
  • Your application will take five days to process.

Skips in an area with restricted parking

You may want to put a skip in an area with restricted parking. There are two ways to do this.

14 days minimum notice

To suspend a specific parking bay to keep a skip near your house, pay an administration charge of £125 (for residents) or £250 (for non-residents). It then costs £40 a day to suspend a specific bay. Apply to suspend a parking bay using this form.

Short notice permission

For permission to put a skip in an available bay in your area, buy a permit which costs £80 a day. Apply to place a skip in a parking bay.

Roads with skip restrictions

On certain roads, different rules apply to where and what time you can use skips. Download a list of streets with skip restrictions (PDF 56KB)

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.