Skip to content

Improvements to the website and search

We’ve made some improvements to our website to make it quicker and easier to find what you need when visiting. 

This is first in a series of improvements to online services, so we'd love to know what you think of these changes and whether they have helped you do what you needed to do today. We’ll use this feedback to continue to improve things in the future.   

Complete a short survey to let us know what you think – it should take no more than five minutes to complete. Thank you for your help. 

Planning document icon

When you need planning permission

Find out if and when you need planning permission, including advice on net zero and sustainable building.

You will most likely need planning permission when you build something new or make a major change to your building, for example building an extension or change the use of your building. There are some exceptions.

Check the 'in your section' on this page for more information on if you need planning permission and what to do.


Net Zero and Sustainability Planning Guidance for Households

Download our net zero and sustainability planning guidance.

This council guidance will help households and local businesses better understand how to reduce your buildings' carbon emissions. This is to align with the council’s target of being a net zero carbon borough by 2030.


Permitted development

In some situations you can undertake works to buildings, such as replacing windows or installing solar panels, without planning permission because it is permitted development. To benefit from permitted development, you must meet specific criteria and conditions.

This guidance sets out what the criteria and conditions are for permitted development for different proposals that can help a building become net zero.


Duty planner

If you have any further questions after reading the guidance and are unsure if you would need planning permission for a proposal, please contact the Duty Planner service which offers a free 15-minute phone call to advise on proposals solely relating to carbon reduction in households or small businesses.