Skip to content
Building blocks icon

Paying for childcare

We subsidise childcare at a range of nurseries so that your childcare fees will depend on household income, how many hours of childcare you need, the age of your child and whether or not you live in Islington.

We review the fees at council-funded children’s centres and community nurseries every year. Find funded nurseries.

Download the current charging policy.

Childminders and private nurseries set their own fees.

Help paying for childcare

Depending on your household income and the age of your child, you could be eligible for support through government-funded schemes:

Islington’s Childcare Bursary can help parents with the costs of childcare - if they are unable to get childcare funding through government schemes - when they start work, if they are training which will lead to employment, or if they are starting up a business.

Please note that you if you apply for tax-free childcare, you won’t be able to get: Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Universal Credit, Childcare Vouchers from your employer. 

Your Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit payments will stop automatically if you successfully apply for Tax-Free Childcare. You can use the childcare calculator to work out if you’ll be better off with Tax-Free Childcare, before you apply and stop your tax credits or Universal Credit child vouchers. You can also contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900 for advice.

You can still apply for Tax-Free Childcare if you get: Child Benefit; 15 hours free childcare and education for children aged two to four years old; 30 hours free childcare.

If you’ve been unable to access Tax-Free Childcare through your childcare account for technical reasons, you may be able to claim compensation.

Childcare Choices is a government website which provides information about all the schemes available to help with childcare costs, including for school-age children, before and after school and in the holidays. 

To get help with tax credits when paying a relative for childcare, the relative must register as a childminder and also be willing to look after other children as part of their childminding business. 

More information

Islington’s Family Information Service provides information and advice about paying for childcare. Contact the Family Information Service, 020 7527 5959,

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.