Can your items be reused?
If your items are in good condition and can be reused, please arrange a reuse collection instead. It’s cheaper and the items will be cleaned or refurbished and sold to local people at affordable prices.
You can donate unwanted but reusable household and electrical goods to be collected by other organisations from your address.
Free collection services from your home
Freegle stands for Free Giving Locally Easily, and they provide a free online only service and mobile app. You can give away and seek unwanted goods in your local area. Items must be in good condition. There are 430+ Freegle groups around the UK run by volunteers. Find your local Freegle group and:
- post a message offering an item
- other people see it and reply to you
- choose who to give it to and they collect.
You can also search or browse the items offered or post a request for a particular item.
Free collection service from your door of unwanted textiles and then the following bullet points:
- Suitable for those with a lot of clothes to donate
- Appointments only direct with Traid
- Complete the booking form or telephone Traid on 020 8733 2595.
TipTapp is a free to download app created by a private company for instant reuse or recycling of unwanted items. Items must be in a good condition.
- create an advert by snapping a picture of what you would like removed.
- someone who can reuse it will pick it up at no cost.
LoveJunk is an online marketplace for the collection of bulky waste, furniture and appliances. It matches you to nearby licensed waste carriers and also reuse charities. Visit their website at lovejunk.com or if you are using a smartphone download the LoveJunk app.
Chargeable reuse collections
What can be collected?
We can collect items up to the second floor. We can collect from higher floors if there is a working lift which is big enough to hold the item.
- most furniture in good, clean and reusable condition
- household electrical equipment
- dishwashers and tumble dryers
- soft furnishings with the appropriate fire safety labels attached and intact.
We can't accept:
- bulky waste
- cookers, fridges, freezers or washing machines
- broken, stained, ripped or torn items
- divan bed bases.
What does it cost?
There is a limit of 6 items per collection (per day) but you may book as many collections per year as you need.
|Number of items||Charge|
|Up to 3||£15 (minimum charge)|
|10 (maximum in one collection)||£50|
Half-price collections are available if you have a valid reference number to show you receive either Housing Benefit Council Tax Support.
You will need to provide this number when you book you collection. You'll find it on your Benefit Decision Notice.
Book a collection
To book a collection call Access Islington on 020 7527 2000, list each item you want collected and choose a collection day. Items will be collected on your booked day (usually within 3 to 4 days of booking).
Please don't leave your items outside for collection - keep them inside your property to prevent weather damage.
Before your collection is due, you will receive a telephone call or text to say we are on our way. Our collection staff all have ID to prove they are from the council.