Clinical waste is waste produced from healthcare and similar activities that may pose a risk of infection (for example swabs and bandages) or may prove hazardous (such as needles).
Using this service
This is a service that you must pay for and your GP or local hospital will need to have a contract in place with Islington Council to provide these services.
You need to make an application through your GP or local hospital. We cannot process requests direct from you. We will contact you once the service has been set up by the GP or local hospital.
Any syringes seen on the public highway should be reported as soon as possible to Contact Islington on 020 7527 2000.
Collections are made every Tuesday and Friday. Collection varies from twice weekly to monthly, depending on what you need.
Leaving clinical waste out for collection
- Only use supplied yellow bags.
- You must be tie or secure bags to prevent spills.
- Bags must not be over three-quarters full.
- Split bags will not be collected.
- All clinical waste must be clearly identifiable and kept separate from other non-clinical waste.
- All sharp objects must be placed in plastic sharps boxes.
- Non-clinical waste items must not be put in clinical waste bags
To find out more information about this service, visit our business waste page.
Free sharps disposal
There are two free options for sharps disposal:
- You should try to dispose of sharps with the primary health care or secondary health care service that first issued them.
- If that is not possible, pharmacies that provide needle exchanges will accept sharps for any condition, including diabetes. There is a list of these pharmacies below.
Needle exchange pharmacies
These pharmacies provide sharps collections for all conditions, including diabetes.
- Clerkenwell Pharmacy, 51 Exmouth Market EC1R4QL
- Apex Pharmacy, 199 Old Street EC1V9NP
- Douglas Pharmacy, 4 Ritchie Street N10DG
- Clockwork Pharmacy, 273 Caledonian Rd N11EF
- Dermacia Pharmacy, 260 Upper St N12UQ
- Apex Pharmacy, 204 Essex Rd N13AP
- Savemain Pharmacy Ltd, 166 - 168 Essex Road N18LY
- Superdrug Stores PLC, 54-55 Chapel Market N19EW
- JC Wise Chemist, 518 Hornsey Rd N193QN
- Well Pharmacy, Nov-13 Junction Rd N195QT
- Arkle Pharmacy, 39 Junction Road N195QU
- Apteka Chemist, 179 Seven Sisters Rd N43NS
- Nuchem Pharmaceuticals Ltd, 159 Stroud Green Rd N43PZ
- Highbury Pharmacy, 14 Highbury Park N52AB
- Devs Chemist, 110 Seven Sisters Road N76AE
- Avni Ltd t/a Wellcare Pharmacy, 552 Holloway Rd N76JP
- Carters Chemist, 47 Roman Way N78XF
- York Pharmacy, Unit4, 400 - 404 York Way N79LR
Please email CSP.SES@islington.gov.uk if any of this information is incorrect.