Islington Council has seven leisure centres and nine courts and pitches across the borough which are managed by GLL (also called Better).
- Archway Leisure Centre, Macdonald Road, N19 5DD. Offers fitness sessions, a gym and swimming.
- Cally Pool and Gym, 229 Caledonian Road, N1 0NH. Offers fitness sessions, a gym and swimming.
- Finsbury Leisure Centre, Norman St, EC1V 3PU. Offers badminton, basketball, football and squash.
- Highbury Leisure Centre, Highbury Crescent, N5 1RR. Offers fitness sessions, a gym, and swimming.
- Ironmonger Row Baths, 1 Norman St, EC1V 3AA. Offers a gym, squash and swimming.
- Islington Tennis Centre and Gym, Market Rd, N7 9PL. Offers fitness sessions, a gym and tennis.
- Sobell Leisure Centre, Tollington Road, N7 7NY. Offers fitness sessions, football, a gym, gymnastics, and martial arts. Facilities are currently closed for badminton, basketball, ice skating, netball, squash, trampolining and volleyball. Find out proposals to modernise the Sobell Leisure Centre; the consultation period has ended.
The leisure centres are fully accessible to disabled people.
Courts and pitches
- Beacon School, Hilldrop Rd, N7 0JG. Offers football, netball and swimming with a club.
- Highbury Fields Courts and Pitches, N5 1AR. Offers basketball, football, netball, and tennis.
- Market Road Football Pitches, N7 9PL. Offers football.
- Paradise Park Football Pitch, MacKenzie Road, N7 8SE. Offers football.
- Rosemary Gardens Football Pitch and Tennis Courts, 14-18 Southgate Rd, N1 3DU. Offers football and tennis.
- Tufnell Park Playing Fields, Campdale Rd, London N7 0EB. Offers football and tennis.
- Whittington Park Football Pitch, N19 4EG. Offers football.
- William Tyndale School Football Pitch Upper St, N1 2GG. Offers football.
- Wray Crescent Cricket Pitch, N4 3LP.
Membership and day pass
GLL offers a range of memberships. This includes a concessionary rate for residents who have a disability or receive benefits, under 16s, full-time students and senior citizens.
Claim a day pass to try out the leisure centres.
Free and low cost activities
GLL also offers these free and low cost activities.
- Finsbury Leisure Centre offers to people aged 60+ a low-cost session that includes badminton, short tennis and table tennis
- Sobell Leisure Centre offers to people aged 60+ a low-cost session that includes short mat bowls, table tennis and a fitness session
- Sobell Leisure Centre offers walking football to people aged 50+
- Free swimming is on offer for people aged 60+ with a Better Adult Senior membership. This is on Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm and weekends at the council's leisure centres with a swimming pool: Archway Leisure Centre, Cally Pool, Highbury Leisure Centre and Ironmonger Row Baths
- Register for free swimming lessons, on offer for people aged 60+ at Highbury Leisure Centre and Ironmonger Row Baths
- Free tennis court hire is on offer for people aged 60+ with a Better Adult Senior membership. This is on Monday-Friday 8am-4pm in Highbury Fields, Rosemary Gardens and Tufnell Park Playing Fields.
Developments at leisure centres
- Until 7 July 2023, Islington Council is consulting on a proposed redevelopment of Sobell leisure centre. Find out more information and have your say.
- Islington Council plans to redevelop Finsbury Leisure Centre to provide a new leisure centre, council homes, healthcare, childcare and energy facilities.