The Blue Badge scheme allows you to park closer to a destination if you have a physical or mental health disability that severely affects you walking short distances.
GOV.UK has a list of reasons that may make you eligible for a blue badge.
The council decides whether you are eligible. We will need evidence and it can take up to eight weeks to decide and issue a Blue Badge.
- be able to prove that you have severe difficulty walking short distances
- have difficulties that are expected to last three years or more
- must be experiencing these issues regularly.
Blue Badges are not issued based on a diagnosis or condition, or on a person’s ability to use public transport or ability to walk long distances.
Who can use a Blue Badge
A Blue Badge can only be used:
- by the person who it is issued to
- in any vehicle that you are driving or a passenger in.
If a Blue Badge is seen being used by a person other than the badge holder, it may be taken away and the user prosecuted for misuse. The Blue Badge may also be taken away, not to be used again.