Skip to content

Improvements to the website and search

We’ve made some improvements to our website to make it quicker and easier to find what you need when visiting. 

This is first in a series of improvements to online services, so we'd love to know what you think of these changes and whether they have helped you do what you needed to do today. We’ll use this feedback to continue to improve things in the future.   

Complete a short survey to let us know what you think – it should take no more than five minutes to complete. Thank you for your help. 

House with coin icon

Apply for a refund

If you have overpaid your council tax then you can get a refund

If you have overpaid your council tax because you are moving or have moved then you can get a refund of the amount overpaid. 

If you're not sure if you are owed anything, look at your final bill. Your bill will show that you owe a negative amount. You will see a '-' sign in front of the any amount owed box.

If you have a My eAccount

This is the easiest way to ask for a refund.

If you don't have a My eAccount

You will need to use the contact us about council tax form to ask for the refund.

Please have your council tax account number ready. Where you can find this.

Please note: If your council tax account is in joint names but you want the refund to go to only one person on the account, we can refund to one person with the written agreement of all the named account holders. Each person will need to contact us using the contact us about council tax form. 

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.