Skip to content
Icon of a briefcase


Selling fireworks

Fireworks can only be sold at these times in the year:

  • Bonfire Night - Sunday 15 October to Friday 10 November
  • New Year's Eve - Tuesday 26 December to Sunday 31 December
  • Chinese New Year - on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days preceding it
  • Diwali - on the day of Diwali and the three days before it

If you wish to store and sell fireworks in Islington you must apply for a licence from the council.

Apply to sell a licence to sell fireworks

Age restriction

Fireworks can only be sold to people who are aged 18 and above. We recommend shops introduce a Challenge 25 policy and ask to see photo proof of age identification from anyone appearing to be aged under 25. This helps to ensure older looking teenagers are not sold restricted products such as fireworks.

Find out how to avoid underage selling on this page on our site.

If you suspect that a shop in Islington is selling any age-restricted goods to children, you can report them by contacting the Citizens Advice consumer service they will pass the details on to us.

Report underage sales to us

• Call Citizens Advice consumer service 034 5404 0506.

Safety with fireworks

Read the firework code and safety tips on The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents website.

Fireworks and bonfires

If you are planning your own fireworks get-together, there are a few things you should do to keep yourself and others safe and to be respectful of your neighbours.

  • Bonfires and fireworks are only allowed in a private garden or as part of an organised display. They are not permitted in our parks, communal areas of housing estates or on streets.
  • Fireworks should not be let off after 11pm. It is a criminal offence to let off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. There are a few exceptions which are Bonfire Night when the cut off is midnight and New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am. 
  • If you see someone behaving irresponsibly with fireworks, please report this to the police on 101. In an emergency, report to the police on 999. 
  • If you are being disturbed by noise from fireworks, report anti-social behaviour to the council - see how to do that below. Remember that fireworks are allowed in private gardens up to 11pm.
  • Find out more about firework safety, the law on fireworks including when they can be used and who can buy them on the London Fire Brigade's website.

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) and issues of concern

Report anti-social behaviour

In an emergency dial 999. You should do this if you think there is an immediate threat to life or property. If the issue is a crime but doesn’t require an immediate police response, or the crime has already taken place, you can report it online to the local police by going to or call 101, the non-emergency number.


Trading Standards Service

Public Protection Division, Islington Council, 222 Upper Street, London N1 1XR


Citizens Advice consumer service

Visit Citizens Advice consumer service or phone 034 5404 0506.

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.