Following a review, we are changing our short-stay parking prices from 1 January 2023 and resident permit prices from 1 February 2023.
The changes support our continuing efforts to tackle the climate emergency by reducing emissions and encouraging use of alternatives to motor vehicles. They will also make our system simpler and more efficient. The key changes are:
- introducing a new seven-tier permit charging system for resident permits, replacing the current 13-tier system, as well as for business and universal permits
- introducing a new seven-tier permit charging system for electric vehicles with charges based on the size of the battery
- amending charges for short-stay parking, including electric vehicles
- introducing charges for motorbike short-stay parking
- introducing new charges for households that want to park more than one vehicle on the street
- standardising parking tariffs in controlled parking zones to create a simpler charging structure
- encouraging more sustainable ways of travelling to and from Arsenal home matches by increasing the average short stay tariff in the match day area
Reminders and new resident permit costs
The council will contact all current permit holders to remind them about the new charges and also to give them full details about how to use the new application system before they renew their permits. Find out more about new resident parking permit costs.
We will also be introducing a new, more user-friendly online permit application system on 1 February 2023. Buy or renew your parking permit or visitor vouchers through our webpages.
Introduction of electric vehicle pricing tiers
While electric vehicles are better for the environment, they do cause some pollution. These pollutants come from matter released by brakes and tyres and the process of creating and recycling the car battery.
The new seven-tier system will help make the pricing structure fairer and ensure that the council is adapting to the huge change in the range of electric vehicles available.
Driving and transport for disabled people
The council is committed to continuing support for disabled people and those who are unable to switch from using a motor vehicle. A number of concessions remain in place, including for Blue Badge holders – who are given free resident parking permits – over 60s, Disability Living Allowance claimants, and Employment Support Allowance. Find out details on our parking for disabled people page.