Our mission and values
We are determined to create a more equal Islington, where everyone who lives here has an equal chance to thrive.
To do this, everyone who works at Islington Council lives by a set of values which guide us in everything that we do: collaborative, ambitious, resourceful, and empowering. They spell out ‘CARE’, which is what we think public service is all about.
Hear more about our mission and how you can help us achieve it from the Leader of the Council, Cllr Kaya Comer-Schwartz.
Benefits and work-life balance
We offer excellent benefits such as:
- Up to 30 days leave per year (increasing to 35 days after five years of local government service)
- 35-hour working week
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Excellent pension scheme
- Competitive pay – and a commitment to paying all staff and apprentices the London Living Wage
- Annual season ticket loan
- Cycle to Work scheme and discounted gym memberships
- Payroll giving
- Personal computer incentive scheme
- Local discounts from restaurants, shops, health and beauty therapists, and more
We were among the first employers to be awarded the Mayor of London’s Good Work Standard and are an accredited London Living Wage employer. We were also one of the first London councils to receive the Timewise Council award for our commitment to flexible working.
Opportunities to learn and grow
We know how important learning and development is to maximise your potential.
Our development programmes include a management diploma, leadership skills programme for emerging leaders, and tailored opportunities to suit you, whether that’s through job shadowing or coaching.
We also offer a dedicated learning platform for staff where you can find learning modules, resources and workshops.
An inclusive workplace
We can't achieve our mission of creating a more equal Islington, without creating an inclusive workplace. We are challenging inequality in our workplace through:
- A diverse recruitment scheme, which supports staff to apply for opportunities, ensures our job roles are advertised on specialist job platforms promoting to diverse communities and that our recruitment panels are diverse.
- Safe spaces for Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff to share concerns and get support.
- Training for all staff on equality, diversity and inclusion, gender identity and expression, and unconscious bias.
- Staff forums for LGBTQ+, disabled and Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff, women and carers, who feedback their views and provide peer support.
- Regular events to celebrate our diverse workforce and raise awareness throughout the year.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about what it’s like to work at Islington Council, email email@example.com.
Search for council jobs
We offer a wide variety of job opportunities. Search and apply online.
Apprenticeships and graduate schemes
Our apprenticeships and graduate schemes are great opportunities to develop your career.
Our ambition for 2030 is to create a more equal future for Islington, where everyone who lives here is able to thrive